Tuesday April 6, 2021
With spring officially in full swing, and the warm weather quickly approaching, we would like to offer some of our best spring cleaning tips to refresh your home this year! Whether you’re preparing to host outdoor barbeques for the summer, or you’re just looking for a fresh start, our tips will surely help get your house in tip top shape!
Make a Schedule
When thinking about spring cleaning, the task can seem a bit daunting, so we recommend getting a plan in place to help keep you focused. Take a moment to scope out your home and identify the areas that need the most work. What areas do you typically skip during your routine cleaning? Consider starting there! Wherever you decide to start, having a plan in place can ensure that you hit all of the essential spots.
Before setting out to scrub down every tile and crevice, sometimes the best thing to do is to work through the clutter in your closets, cabinets, desks, and drawers. Start by removing everything from the areas that need the most work. Take some time to thoroughly sort through the things that you just pulled out. Can any of these items be donated? Is there anything that has expired or worn out that can be thrown out? We suggest sorting your items into boxes or piles to clearly identify the items that you want to keep, throw out, move to storage, or donate.
Pro tip: Before placing everything back (in a more organized manner), make sure to wipe down your cabinets and drawers, and vacuum or sweep up your closet space.
Time to Freshen Up!
Once you’ve come up with your game plan, and dealt with all of the clutter, it’s time to get down to business. Here are our suggestions for what to tackle in each room of your home:
- Deep clean cutting boards
- Remove crumbs from toaster
- Wipe down the microwave
- Scrub the stove
- Run oven cleaner or scrub down with baking soda and water mixture
- Dust light fixtures, blinds, ceiling fans and window sills
- Sweep and mop the floors
- Wipe down countertops
- De-grease backsplash
- Shine faucet, sink, and clean the drain
- Wipe down mirror with glass cleaner
- Clean toilet bowl
- Remove lid and set from toilet to scrub around seat bolts
- Spray anti-mold cleaning agent on shower doors and walls
- Wax bathtub
- Shine faucets
- Dust vent covers
- Clear sink and shower drain
- Clean window sills
- Sweep and mop floors
- Wash towels and bathmat in hot water
- Launder bedding in hot water
- Sprinkle baking soda on uncovered mattress, wait, and vacuum
- Air out mattress pad
- Vacuum under bed and behind dressers
- Clean out closets
Around the Home
- Vacuum dust from baseboards and scrub trim
- Clean windows (this works best on cloudy days)
- Dust window screens
- Deep clean carpets and rugs
- Vacuum, sweep, mop (in that order)
- Spot clean walls
- Dust art and light fixtures
- Replace welcome mat
- Clean upholstered furnishing
- Change batteries in smoke detectors
Pro Tip: When you think about how to approach cleaning your home, it’s important to work from top to bottom. This will force any debris downward, and prevent you from having to re-clean any area you might have already cleaned. If you have a vacuum with an extension hose, we suggest using it to clear off any cobwebs or dust from your ceilings and fans first. After you clean the ceiling and fans, dust off any furniture and other items before vacuuming all of the dust and debris off of your floors. Make sure to pull your furniture away from the walls and vacuum behind and under it as well!
Once your home is organized and clean, it’s time to open up the freshly cleaned windows and let in some of that fresh spring time air! You can even light some spring scented candles or diffuse lavender essential oils to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere.